(Weekends don't count)

Friday, September 20, 2013

Frühe Gedichte -- Der Neue Amadis -- The New Amadis

    The New Amadis

When I was just a little boy
they locked me up.
And so I sat for many years
alone in a room,
as though inside my mother’s womb.

How you were my play, my pastime,
golden fantasy.
And, oh, how I was a hero,
like dear Prince Arthur,
and traveled cross all the world.

I built crystal palaces,
and sundered just the same,
and with heavens thundering spear
I slayed the dragon.
How truly a man I was!

And as this knight, I freed
the princess Fisch,
for which she was certainly obligeant.
She led me to  her table
me! the gallant knight!

And her kiss was bread from God
that glowed like wine.
Oh! how I nearly loved to death
a golden statue
forged of iron bars and the sun!

Now who is it that has torn her from my arms?
Was there no magic holding her from such flight?
Pray tell.  Where has she gone?

Tell! How’s the way there?

No comments:

Post a Comment