(Weekends don't count)

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Frühe Gedichte -- Mailied -- May Song

    May Song


Such golden light
nature spreads o’re me.
From the swelling sun,
from the quivering fields.


How flowers burst
from every twig,
and a thousand melodies
from out the shrubs,


and joy and bliss
from every breast.
Oh Earth, oh sun,
oh joy and lust,


oh lovers, love.
Such tender beauty,
morning’s tender mist
kissing every hill.


You bless with wonder
the fresh dill fields,
disseminate the world’s blossoms
in honeyed fragrance.


Oh darling, darling.
How I love you so.
How your eyes shine so.
How they shine with love, for me.


So loves the lark
breath and song,
and morning flowers so
with heaven’s dew.


How I love you
with the warmest blood,
that you to me youth
and joy and courage,


new songs and dances
gently give;
Be forever pleasured
with our loving so.

No comments:

Post a Comment