(Weekends don't count)

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Frühe Gedichte -- Willkommen und Abschied -- Welcome and Farewell

    Welcome and Farewell


It stole my heart swift as a horse!  Away!
Yet done with faster than thought.
The night swayed with the Earth
and from the mountains hung the night.
The old oak stood in a robe of fog,
a towering giant where darkness from the thicket
with a hundred black eyes called.


The moon from out a hill of clouds
glimmered sorrowful through the mist.
The wind fluttered with silent wings
whistling eerily past my ears.
The night made a thousand beasts,
yet fresh and joyous was my blood:
In my veins, what burning fire!
In my heart, what warming glow.


I saw you and that mild joy
flowed from your sweet image over me;
wholly was my heart with you
and my every breath for you.
Spring's rose-colored blush
enwrapped your vision fair,
and tenderness for me--oh Gods!
I hoped it, yet deserved no care.


Alas, with the morning sun
came the shrinking of my heart, farewell:
In your kisses, what pleasant bliss,
but in your eyes, such hopeless pain.
I left you planted in the Earth,
watching me with wetted eyes.
And yet, what rapture, to be loved.
And to love, Gods! what joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment